This post is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Cope on his 59th birthday. Happy birthday, dad! I was hoping to get to this sooner, but at least it is still your birthday in Hawaii for a few more hours...
Here are few things that my Dad taught me:
-The right way to clean a toilet (and if I didn't do it right the first time, I had to come back and do it until it was right)
-That yard work can be fun when the whole family helps
-That passing out fliers for TLC window fashions can be fun because you get to ride on the running boards or in the bed of the truck, and at the end you get to have a slurpee at 7-11
-How to be a good sport and play any game or jump on the trampoline as activity for family home eveing
-How to waterski (he always believed in me but never pushed me too hard)
-That a car should be clean (he washes his every week, even if the ice is forming before he can dry it!)
-That there is no man's work or woman's work, just work and we all need to help so it can get done
-That you gotta do what you gotta do to support your family (at one point he had four jobs so mom could stay home; Pace, the Paint Store, cleaning grease vents and acting)
-Most of all he taught me that where you come from and the mistakes that you may have made, don't define who you are; we all can change and become better with the Savior's help.
As you can see most of what my dad taught me surrounds that fact that you have to work, but that you can have fun doing it. And when you are done doing it, you can have more fun! I love you very much dad! I hope that my little Terry Lee will grow up to be as good a man as you are--he has large shoes to fill.
P.S. The comments are working now, thanks for the help Eli!
Friday, January 22, 2010
Dad
Posted by Franco Family at 11:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm pleased that you remember all the things that I've taught you, but I still feel there are lots of bad things that I've taught that you don't seem to remember, (that's good.) Next I'll have to teach your boys the proper way to wash a window while washing the car. I love you Codee, and don't feel that I deserve all of the praise you've heaped upon me. So lets' go have some fun. Dad
Very nice! This post reminds me of the "You've taught me..." we did for each other years ago! What a kind gift of sincere thanks, and fun memories! Thanks for a walk down memory lane, and letting Dad know he didn't do too shabby of a job as our Dad!
Post a Comment